The Board's responsibilities include:
- approving or declining membership applications,
- setting the agenda for all members' meetings,
- reporting to the members on their activities,
- making sure that education about Co-operatives is available to all members,
- overseeing the financial affairs of the Co-op,
- making financial decisions for the Co-op,
- making sure that the Co-op has enough insurance coverage,
- Committees and Members:
- directing and co-ordinating the activities of all Committees,
- making sure that the Co-op property is well maintained,
- involving the Co-op in the broader Co-operative movement and in the local community
- giving a clear outline of the responsibilities of staff,
- hiring, firing, and directing employees as stated in the Bylaws,
- setting the salary and employment terms of employees,
- making sure that education about Co-operatives is available to employees.
The Board can delegate some of these responsibilities to Committees or staff. However, the Board has final responsibility.
Facts about the Board:
- The Board of Directors is composed of eight co-op members who must sign a confidentiality agreement and a code of conduct.
- These directors are elected by the members of our co-op at our Annual General Meeting in the Fall.
- Every year, four new people are elected for a two year term; thus there are always fresh faces on the Board who are then mentored by the returning Board members.
- The officer positions on the Board include: President, Vice President, and Secretary.
- The Board typically meets twice a month.